Solon HR Roundtable - Opioids in the Workplace
Solon HR Roundtable targets Human Resource professionals and is open to all Solon Chamber members.
Topic: Opioids in the WorkplaceSpeaker: Gail Landfried, ease@work/The Center for Families and Children
Learn how what starts off as a legitimate prescription for pain after an injury or surgery can quickly develop into a habit...an addiction that targets people of all age groups, ethnicity and socioeconomic class.
Program highlights will include:
- How opioid painkillers have made their way into our society and how prescribed use easily evolves into abuse and addiction
- Understand the clinical perspective of why these drugs are so addictive, along with the link between opioid painkillers and heroin use.
- Explore the risk opioid painkillers pose for employers
- Discuss the proactive, preventable measures employers can take to prevent opioid use from making it into the workplace.
- Review best practices and trends in drug free workplace policy and testing, including easy revisions that add up to big protections.
- Learn what steps to take if you think someone is using.
- Discover how to partner with your insurance company, medical and pharmacy providers to better manage opioid prescriptions.
About the speaker: Angela Sowers, MA, PCC, is a licensed counselor who most recently worked with ease@work/The Centers for Families and Children. In that role with ease@work, a Cleveland-based employee assistance program (EAP), Angie focused on acting as a liaison in management referrals, conducting management consultations, providing training as a clinical subject matter expert and providing after-hours on-call coverage for critical calls. Along with counseling in traditional office settings, Angie’s expertise also includes use of the EAP as management tool in referrals for job performance issues. She has also played a vital role in teaching organizations how to the implement Virtual Counseling as an alternate option to in-person counseling.
Angie has over 10 years of outpatient clinical counseling experience. Also, her career experience includes Director of Assessment and Testing/Clinician with Amigo Family Counseling, Columbus, Ohio, and as a Senior Outpatient Clinician for Six County, Inc., in Zanesville, Ohio. She has also been an E-Counsellor with Shepell.fgi (EAP) of Canada since 2008. Her credentials include a B.A. in Psychology from Malone College, 2001 and a M.A. in Clinical Pastoral Counseling/Patient Counseling from Ashland College, 2003.